Re: [OT] something about dropbox

rjc schrieb:

> + multi-OS + easy to configure + available through web browser

ACK

+ "Camera Upload" with Auto-Gallery
+ RSS-Feed for changed files
+ Files are easily linkable for sharing
+ LAN-Sync, when a file is created/changed and another of your Dropbox-
  Machines are in the same Network the files will be transferred over
  this network rather than being uploaded to Dropbox first an then
  downloaded from there
+ If you upload a file that some other Dropbox user has uploaded before
  the file will be copied into your Dropbox without upload
+ Upload and Download Bandwidth could limited

> - no CLI-only mode [2]

That's not correct. You can install and use it without having X
installed. I did it so on one of the servers in the office. There is a
CLI script written in python which is officially supported:

https://www.dropbox.com/download?dl=packages/dropbox.py

To install Dropbox without X you can follow this howto:
https://www.dropbox.com/install?os=lnx

I'm using Dropbox on all of my machines (3 Macs, 2 Linux-Server, 1
Windows-PC, iPhone and iPad) but I would prefer a fully encrypted
service where I can use my very own private Key. "Unfortunately" my free
Account has been extended to more than 10GB and this keeps me using it.

Anyway if you have some critical data you can use Tools like Truecrypt
(which is available for every platform Dropbox supports) to encrypt them
by creating a Truecrypt-Container in your Dropbox-Folder. This works
fine even with a rather large container (or several ones), as Dropbox
only uploads the changed part of the file. I've used Dropbox as a paid
user some time ago and had a Virtual Machine in my Folder (25GB virtual
HDD).

- - Upgrading to Pro-Account is rather expensive.
  (Compared to normal Webspace, Server-Hosting, etc.)
- - Files could not be synced between your Machines only
  without being uploaded to Dropbox
- - A joined shared folder will use up your own quota

By for now!