Re: [OT] something about dropbox

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 04:38:48PM BST, lina wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't used the dropbox yet, now downloading.
>
> want to hear some comments about the dropbox,
>
> both cons and pros are welcome.

+ multi-OS
+ easy to configure
+ available through web browser

- closed source
- Intel binary only [0]
- not WebDAV access [1]
- no CLI-only mode [2]
- untrusted 3rd party (EULA, Policy)
- no P2P (LAN-only) support [3]
- size (5GB) [4]
- not really for advanced use [5]

[0] I run Linux on SPARC, PowerPC and ARM (more and more popular nowadays)

[1] https://www.box.com/ does support WebDAV so you can access your files
	with anything that speaks WebDAV
	(box.com has a max 100MB size limit though)

[2] it still requires running within X session

[3] it still requires connection to the Internet

[4] box.com offered 50GB if signed up using an Android device

[5]	have a look at Joey's git-annex assistant
	http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joeyh/git-annex-assistant-like-dropbox-but-with-your-own

Regards,
--
rjc