What is the status of multiarch?

Hi all,

it would be nice, if you could tell me, what is the correct debian-way to use
multiarch.

On my 64-bit system I am using only very few applications, which are still 32-
bit. For example wine, skype, x-plane and a few others.

My solution few years ago was, to install a minimal 32-bit debian in a chroot
and just install the needed 32-bit libs within this chroot. (There was a howto
on alioth.) Additionally I installed ia32-libs and linked the further needed
32-bit-libs to the libs in the chroot. This is still working fine.

Now I have seen another kind of solution:

http://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

This describes an complete other way.

My goal is, to interfere as few as possible with the 64-bit system, as I need
only very few libs.

So, as my old configuration is still working fine, but I am always intending to
improve my system, what is the best (debian)-way for my needs?

Every hint is welcome.

Best regards

Hans