Re: [OT] Re: the ghost of UEFI and Micr0$0ft

On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:29 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 June 2012 18:55:59 Nuno Magalhães wrote:
> > That's awkward, i was under the impression there was a change some
> > years back so that the stable branch would change to a 6 months
> > release schedule. Did that never go through or was it only temporary?
>
> It was cancelled, though they seem to be trying to keep the gap between
> releases a bit shorter.  But the fact that Debian stable is well debugged and
> only released when it is ready, is one of the reasons that I, and, I imagine,
> others, use it.
>
> I am just sorry that they have changed it at all.  Ubuntu now has 5 year
> support for its long term supported version.  Such a pity that Debian is
> going the other way. :-(
>
> Lisi

For my needs I unfortunately have to switch distros and versions very
often, but FULL ACK, if a system does fit to our needs, we should use it
10 or 15 years or forever. By theory it's possible for my needs, since a
DAW doesn't need security upgrades for the browser etc., unfortunately I
need to exchange some hardware from time to time. Unfortunately
compiling stuff doesn't work after a while, because you'll run into
dependency hell, sometimes a patch that simply add a header to the old
source code can help, but anyway, it's a PITA to maintain old faithful
OSes. Pff, no modern monitor is "slow enough" so that I can use it with
my Atari ST ... dinos will die and make place for something new. That
ships with advantages and drawbacks ;).