Re: What to do when testing come to stable on a Debian wheezy/sid?

On Fri 22 Jun 2012 at 13:55:55 -0400, Gary Dale wrote:

> You miss the point of sid. It's not a distribution the way Wheezy is.
> It's a place to put packages for testing before they enter into the
> general testing pool. Testing against sid is almost useless when you
> really want to know if the package is ready for Wheezy.
>
> If you run into a problem with a package from sid, you can say it
> doesn't work with Wheezy. However, if your system is entirely sid, all
> you can say it that it's not compatible with other sid packages. Since
> those packages haven't been vetted for the next release, the problem
> could be anywhere.
>
> Basic rule of problem resolution is change one thing at a time. When
> you're running sid, everything changes all the time.

Out of the maelstom of Sid is born stable.

Living in its turblent environment is not for the faint hearted. John
Hasler manages it very well and has no complaints. Others, like me,
stumble along but eventually see the light and eventually adapt to its
demands.