Re: What to do when testing come to stable on a Debian wheezy/sid?

On 22/06/12 01:12 PM, Brian wrote:
On Fri 22 Jun 2012 at 10:56:04 -0500, John Hasler wrote:

Gary Dale writes:
Running pure sid like he seems to be is just nuts.
I've been running pure Sid since it was invented.  Works fine.  Of
course it would be silly to run Sid and do daily updates.
I'm not too sure about daily or regular updates being silly as opposed
to unnecessary, but I do like the attitude you have. How do you deal
with security updates? Subscribe to the relevant mailing list, I
suppose.
You miss the point of sid. It's not a distribution the way Wheezy is. It's a place to put packages for testing before they enter into the general testing pool. Testing against sid is almost useless when you really want to know if the package is ready for Wheezy.

If you run into a problem with a package from sid, you can say it doesn't work with Wheezy. However, if your system is entirely sid, all you can say it that it's not compatible with other sid packages. Since those packages haven't been vetted for the next release, the problem could be anywhere.

Basic rule of problem resolution is change one thing at a time. When you're running sid, everything changes all the time.