Re: cyrus --> dovecot

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:30:40 +0200, Móczik Gábor wrote:

> 2012.06.21. 18:07 keltezéssel, Camaleón írta:

>> What's the exact output you get from apt?

(...)

> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    cyrus-imapd-2.2
>    dovecot-imapd

(...)

Mmmm... is the same for the pop3 counterparts?

>>> Is there a way not to automatically remove Cyrus?
>>
>> I wonder what package/rule is the reason for the "break" or "conflict"
>> here.
>
> dovecot:
>
> Replaces: dovecot-common, imap-server
> Provides: imap-server
            ^^^^^^^^^^^

> cyrus:
> Replaces: cyrus21-imapd, cyrus22-imapd
> Provides: cyrus21-imapd, cyrus22-imapd, imap-server
> Conflicts: cyrus21-imapd, cyrus22-imapd, imap-server
                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^

So "imap-server" is the one making noise here, right?

Lets see what the packaging guidelines have to say in this respect:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html

I would contact the Cyrus package maintainers and ask them about this.
The "conflict" flag in cyrus seems too restrictive (although "courier-
imap" also has it), but maybe there's a strong reason for it we can't
see :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón