Re: how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> On 6/22/2012 2:22 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:

>>> I don't use jumbo frames here because:
>>>
>>> 1.  Not all the desktop NICs support it
>>> 2.  No single host _needs_ maximum GbE throughput
>>>    We don't do large single file transfers
>>> 3.  The servers can hit wire speed doing parallel xfers
>>>    without using jumbo frames
>>> 4.  My SAN is fibre channel
>>>
>>> I have done testing with GbE and 9000 byte frames and the information I
>

>> With reference to the Bruno point. he says it could be the bottleneck
>> on HD end regardless of what size of ram or Processor are we using. so
>> my question is have you tested
>> this on RAID 1?
>
> Before you even progress to the things below, you must run iperf to
> obtain a maximum baseline performance.  That is the measure of your TCP
> transmit/receive throughout.  Then you know what you target maximum is
> when you tune these other things.

ok here you go with the details

this is the storage server NAS/SAN box

root@nasbox:/# iperf -c 10.X.X.7 -r
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
Client connecting to 10.X.X.7, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 65.2 KByte (default)
[  5] local 10.X.X.15 port 33819 connected with 10.X.X.7 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  5]  0.0-10.0 sec   744 MBytes   624 Mbits/sec
[  4] local 10.X.X.15 port 5001 connected with 10.X.X.7 port 59971
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   876 MBytes   734 Mbits/sec

and here you go with my Virtualization Server based on lenny Qemu KVM

lion:/mnt/vmbk# iperf -s
Server listening on TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
[  4] local 10.X.X.7 port 5001 connected with 10.X.X.15 port 33819
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec    744 MBytes    623 Mbits/sec
Client connecting to 10.X.X.15, TCP port 5001
TCP window size:   539 KByte (default)
[  4] local 10.X.X.7 port 59971 connected with 10.X.X.15 port 5001
Waiting for server threads to complete. Interrupt again to force quit.
[  4]  0.0-10.0 sec    876 MBytes    735 Mbits/sec