Re: how to increase through put of LAN to 1GB

On 6/21/2012 3:05 AM, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> i am using Debian with below specs
> 1 GB RAM
>  Xeon 2.8
> 2 TB SATA x2 (RAID 1)
>
> i learn that my LAN throughput is like 200 to 300 Mbps which is quite
> enough for me for now. but i am planning ahead to use ISCSI for
> virtualization to provide HA, therefore i need my Giga LAN to reach
> the 1000 Mbps throughput.
>
> so i need to know. what could be done to achieve this ?

That Xeon 2.8 is apparently a 130nm NetBurst CPU, likely 8 years old,
which makes the mobo and system chipset 8 years old.  This is a limiting
factor, but probably not _the_ limiting factor, in GbE throughput.

More important is what ethernet ASIC you're using.  Realtek and Marvell
ASICs will never hit close to wire speed.  That's just a fact.  Intel
ASICs can easily.  Probably Broadcomm as well.

Also, to achieve wire speed you'll likely need a large MTU, often called
a "jumbo frame".  All devices on a subnet must have the same size MTU,
so this is only an option if you can match the MTU across them all.  And
all switches on the subnet must also support jumbo frames.  Last, the
router for the subnet must support jumbo frames on the interface
connected to the jumbo segment.  If not you'll not be able to reach the
public internet.

Regarding Samba, you'll never reach wire speed with it, ~80-85% seems to
be the limit.  FTP should get really close, 90-95%.  iperf and other
test utilities should reach 95+% with good NICs.

Before we can give you additional advice/pointers, we need to know what
ethernet ASIC (NIC) is in the workstation, and also in the Windows
machine you're communicating with.  If either is a Realtek or other low
end ASIC you won't reach more than 600-700Mb/s or so.  iSCSI performance
should be within a few percent of the iperf rate with good NICs.

--
Stan