Re: round-robin mx and nginx proxy

> On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 03:54:28PM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> I think I would first start by checking the output of repeated calls to
> "dig +short mx yourdomain.example.org". This should vary, with your
> servers swapping positions each time.
>
> If you only get the same output each time, then it's down to the sending
> MTA to pick an appropriate MX from the list. I assume both your MXs have
> the same priority; in that case the sending SMTP should pick one at
> random and, if that fails, try the other. Note here, that if you're
> using round-robin AND same-priority MXs, both are picking the order at
> random.
thanks,

i also need to know how I would be able to investigate the flow of
emails. What I had tried so far:

dig +short mx reveals that from outside, users would hit barracuda MTA first
then barracuda would forward (or so i thought) to a MailScanner
(barracuda's outbound smtp host setting)

but how do I check that MailScanner (installed on top of centos 5)
forwards emails to those 2 MTA+proxy servers?

email system is working at the moment, fortunately.

mail flow that i assumed from outside:
user -> barracuda -> mailscanner -> second zimbra MTA+proxy server ->
one of two mailbox servers (via its public name)

thanks

--
Regards,

Umarzuki Mochlis