Re: netinst on old dell hardware

On Wed 20 Jun 2012 at 17:54:08 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> Ok. Trying to repeat your work, I accomplish all steps thru 4,

Good progress. At least we now know the mirror and the installer work
together.

> but I cannot boot to Lenny. Instead I get error message :
>
> Error: Couldn't read file
> Press any key to continue...
>
> I press a key and get:
>
> Error: You need to load the kernel first.
> Press any key to continue...
>
> Clearly food for thoughts about debugging the hardware.
> Why isn't the kernel there? I answered all questions about kernel by
> accepting the offered defaults.
> Ideas?

This is GRUB complaining. I accepted all its suggestions when setting it
up in d-i, but cannot remember what they were! You could go back and
re-install or edit the GRUB entry to boot from it.

> ( My idea is that maybe there is not enough RAM on this box. How much
> should be needed? This box has 512MB according to sticker on it from
> the vendor. )

The RAM is perfectly sufficient for what you are doing.