Re: Configuration Design for Installation, Maintenance and Upgrades

ray@aarden.us wrote:
> just to assure that I can get a stable, usable system up and running,
> please see the list below.

A lot of what you've listed below should have been handled
semi-automatically during installation. It's a steep learning curve,
though, I'll agree with that.

What is wrong with your system that makes you say it's neither stable
nor usable? Did you install "Stable", or some other version?

> Configuring the System for Another Language

This is usually done during installation, but it's perfectly possible
to run multiple locales (languages and timezones) on a single box. Off
the top of my head I'm not sure how you'd change these, though.

> Configuring the Network

If you're using Network Manager with DHCP then there's not really a lot
that needs to be done. If you're using a server then you could do well to
look at /etc/network/interfaces; we can help you with specific questions.

> Setting the Hostname and Configuring the Name Service

Setting the hostname is usually done during installation as it can be
found in a number of places.

Name service usually fits into network configuration

> User and Group Databases
> Creating Accounts
> Printer Configuration

You might want to take a look at "Webmin" for these (a web-based
administration tool).

> Shell Environment

I'm not sure what you mean by this

> Configuring the Bootloader
> Identifying the Disks
> Identifying the Disks Partitions
> Configuring LILO
> GRUB 2 Configuration
> GRUB Legacy Configuration

Much of this happens automatically during installation or when a relevant
part of the system is upgraded/configured.

?

> Time Synchronization

Install ntp and it will "just work" for you. If you want to tweak,
the file to consider is /etc/ntp.conf

?

> Sharing Access

NFS and SAMBA? There might be an option within Webmin (I don't use it),
but if there isn't this is a rather complex area. If you've got specific
questions I'd suggest you come back here with them.

Chris