Re: netinst on old dell hardware

On 20120620_004441, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 19 Jun 2012 at 11:56:00 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>
> > But my old Lenny netinstall CD *does*work*. Now I need a repository to
> > point it at. I've found archive.kernel.org (I'm in USA). But I'm
> > having trouble composing the exact string that I need to type into the
> > screen on my new(to me) computer. And, I have never had a good
> > understanding of the magic involved in the apt-get system. I know about
> > the option 'enter inforation manually' in the menu of countries.
> > But what do I enter there?
>
> I'd put archive.debian.org for the mirror hostname.
>
> > And in the screen that follows asking for 'Debian archive mirror
> > directory:' which is prefilled with a default of '/debian/', should I
> > accept /debian/ or replace it? with what?
>
> Accept it.
>
> > Lastly, there is a question about a proxy. I don't believe I have a
> > proxy, but using archive.kernel.org might necessitate one. I hope not.
> > Proxy?
>
> Not necessary.

Thanks, but...

I think I have already tried that, and I tried again just now, just to
make sure, and again I got the standard "Bad Archive Mirror"
message. That message suggests that either the archive is not
available, or that there is not a valid Release file in it.  I have
looked at the site with iceweasel, the site is available, and a readme
says it contains Lenny, but I don't know where to look in order to
see if it contains a valid Lenny release file. I find it hard to believe
that it contains all that I see, but not a release file in the proper
place, but maybe yes. OTOH maybe its there and I didn't find and netinstCD
didn't find it as well. I've looked at the Debian archive mirror in Europe
with iceweasel and it looks to be no different than archive.kernel.org

Is there another site with Lenny files that is more accessable for use
with a netinst CD ? Maybe the archive is optimized for downloading of
individual packages, one at a time, and doesn't really understand the
way CDs are programmed to get stuff.

Ideas?

--
Paul E Condon