Re: netinst on old dell hardware

On 20120620_121804, Teemu Likonen wrote:
> Paul E. Condon [2012-06-20 02:55:41 -0600] wrote:
>
> > On 20120620_081652, didier gaumet wrote:
> >> Your CD, being from the "lenny=stable" era, probably attempts to
> >> access "stable" release but it does not exists on an archive
> >> repository. Replacing "stable" by "lenny" could do the trick
>
> > This is what must be happening. And I have no way to edit an iso image
> > to do the replacement, so I can't use the archive to get a working
> > debian installation on the box and then dist-upgrade to something more
> > modern.
>
> Doesn't the expert install method allow editing sources.list?
> (I'm not sure.)

It allows selecting a mirror from a long list of existing mirrors and
typing in the name of an unlisted mirror, but not editing a line in
sources.list format. In this case the built in name on the CD is
surely 'stable' and *not* 'lenny', as support or named releases was
not yet fully implemented back then. Didier reminded me of that. I
think this fact pretty is a show stopper for what I was hoping to
do. I am rethinking my goals and objectives today.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net