aplay: main:682: audio open error: Device or resource busy, no audio

Hi all,
First of all please CC me if somebody answers as I'm not subscribed to
the mailing list. I am on Debian sid and about 2 weeks back my audio
has mysteriously gone kaput which means no audio. This is on dual-boot
system and on MS-Windows there is no problem with audio so it's
probably something with the software somewhere.

First I thought it was something to do with pulseaudio hence filed a
bug 676652 . Then talking to few people on IRC and on mail came to
know it's possibly bug 985145 which was shared by some people on
Ubuntu launchpad.

Hence I removed both pulseaudio and almost all libraries of jack and
arts save one (libjack-jackd2-0) because removing it would
remove/touch almost 400 MB of apps.

Then filed 677457 thinking it might have been perhaps a kernel upgrade
issue hence along with the help of one of the maintainers downgraded
the kernel to 3.2.18-1 from 3.2.20-1 but still the issue persists.

Now can some of the Debian gurus suggest what should I try to figure
out why I'm getting the device busy messages ?

Looking forward to possible reasons.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल