Re: journaling on EXT3

Jim Pazarena:

> I have an EXT3 which is not journaled.
> I would like to enable it.

You appear to be a little bit confused. Ext3 is always journalled. Ext3
without a journal is ext2.  By default, ext3 only writes filesystem
metadata to the journal, not file content. If you want to trade
performance for data integrity, use this:

> So I can modify the entry in fstab to read "data=journal",
> but I am unsure what command is required on the live system
> to 'convert' the EXT3 to journaling.

You can try to remount the filesystem with this option, but I don't know
whether that actually works:

mount -o remount,data=journal /dev/sdX1

If it doesn't, you have to umount/mount (or reboot for /).

J.
--
I wear a lot of leather but would never wear fur.
[Agree]   [Disagree]