Re: Unable to get X to start on new flat screen monitor using DVI

On Mon 18 Jun 2012 at 23:21:03 +0000, James Allsopp wrote:

> I wrote this as an xorg.conf, but the problem still remains,
>
> Section "Screen"
> 	Identifier "Default Screen"
> 	DefaultDepth 16
> 	SubSection "Display"
> 		   Depth 16
> 		   Modes "1280x1024"
> 	EndSubSection
> EndSection

This wasn't the best of advice to offer given the contents of Xorg.0.log.

> xrandr says there are no displays though.

X needs to be running to have an xrandr output. Again, not a useful
suggestion to give you.

> My Xorg.0.log is now as written at the bottom of this message.

[Snip]

> [drm] failed to load kernel module "nouveau"
> (EE) [drm] failed to open device

   http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/TroubleShooting

and also look at what is happening with nouveau in the output of the
'dmesg' command.