Re: Unable to get X to start on new flat screen monitor using DVI

On Sun 17 Jun 2012 at 22:29:04 +0000, James Allsopp wrote:

> Hi,
> Got one of my old PC's lying around and I'm trying to get it to work
> with my nice new LG  IPS225V flatscreen. It used to work fine with my
> CRT over VGA but although I can get a console up, I can't get X to
> start. I've listed the Xorg log out at the bottom of the e-mail
>
> I think it could be that the monitor is refusing anything other than
> 1900x1080 at 60Hz over which DVI, which my hardware hasn't a hope of
> driving. There doesn't appear to be any way of turning this down on the
> monitor.
>
> To get some idea of the hardware, this is the lspci

[Most of lspci ouput, apart from one line, snipped]

> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX
> 5200] (rev a1)

You'll like this! On one of my machines:

   brian@dektop3:~$ lspci | grep VGA
   01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200] (rev a1)

You can compare mine with yours:

   brian@dektop3:~$ xrandr
   Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 4096 x 4096
   VGA-1 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 0mm x 0mm
      1280x1024      63.2*+
      1024x768       60.0
      800x600        60.3     56.2
      848x480        60.0
      640x480        59.9
   VGA-2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
   TV-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

If I was in your situation and was after 1280x1024 I'd put this in
an /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

   Section "Screen"
       Identifier    "Default Screen"
       DefaultDepth   16