Re: Backup system for use when Debian fails.

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 10:25:02 -0700, peasthope wrote:

> This weekend I arrived home to find the Debian Squeeze system unable to
> accept a login.  During startup, this line appears.
>   Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd failed!

(...)

> I'm shelving the problem for a day to two but want to mention that my
> backup system in such circumstances is ETH Native Oberon.
> http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/
>
> It receives and sends email, browses the Web sufficiently for
> troubleshooting the Linux system and is unsophisticated and superbly
> reliable.  Mentioning it only in case others can benefit.

Well, that's what LiveCDs and USB sticks with a running system are aimed
for, to be a lifesaver when your main system cannot boot or is completely
hosed.

The only "but" I'll say about that Oberon OS is that it will require from
extra maintenance and some learning curve and both things are not coming
for free, that is, they're time consuming while if you have an external
media with Debian loaded on it, being a well-known system, you already
know what to do within the less possible time.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón