Backup system for use when Debian fails.

Hi,

This weekend I arrived home to find the Debian Squeeze system
unable to accept a login.  During startup, this line appears.
  Starting deferred execution scheduler: atd failed!

Xdm behaves as though the wrong password is given.  Command
line login works but then X fails with this error.
  (EE) open /dev/fb0: no such file or directory

Login with telnet on an Ethernet connection gets this
message repeatedly for about 30 s prior to the command prompt.
  root@joule:/home/peter# ls -l /dev/null
Permissions are easily fixed but are back to the
wrong values after a reboot.

I'm shelving the problem for a day to two but want
to mention that my backup system in such circumstances
is ETH Native Oberon.  http://www.ethoberon.ethz.ch/

It receives and sends email, browses the Web
sufficiently for troubleshooting the Linux system and
is unsophisticated and superbly reliable.  Mentioning
it only in case others can benefit.

TTFN,           ... Peter E.

Telephone 1 360 639 0202.  Bcc: peter at easthope.ca
"http://carnot.yi.org/ "