Re: 83 key IBM model m XT keyboard with Debian?

On 06/17/2012 10:40 PM, Nick Lidakis wrote:
Anybody using an 83 key IBM model M keyboard with a modern PC?
Clickykeyboards.com has info about a key codes adapter here:
http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/11298/subcatid/0/id/500722

Was wondering if anyone is a fan of the old 83 key keyboards and if there any
glitches when using one of these adapters, i.e., limits on maximum typing speed.

I have a model M about 83 keys, connected to a Dell laptop thru an adapter to USB. The only problem I have is when I start up the Dell from an OFF state, I have to momentarily unplug the usb and plug it back in, or the right-hand side of the keyboard is not recognized. I touch type, but not ridiculously fast, and I've
seen no delays or anything that would bother me.

(I have full-size model M keyboards on two desktop computers, with the usual
plug connectors, and they  don't have to be disconnected or anything. AFAIC,
the model M is the best keyboard ever made.  You can get refurbed ones from
an outfit called "Clicky Keys", I believe, but all of mine were bought at the old computer shows, used, off service. They all work great! I expect that they'll
still be working great in about 2042 if some dimwit doesn't throw them out
for not having Microsoft keys, or not being black.)

A keyboard that holds a reasonable second place was called a "2000"--I don't
know who made it, bet we had them at work, back in the 90s. They didn't make
as much noise as the model M, but the touch was almost as good.

--doug