Re: Syslogd message...............

Good time of the day, Charlie.

You worte:

> It changes the device from /dev/sdb1 to /dev/sdd1 and back again.

Oh, I got it now - You did not mention that.

> I am now mounting it as /dev/sdb1. That's what it has always been, and
> then it started to drop out while I was looking through the files and
> wouldn't mount and came up as /dev/sdd1 etc..

Try w/ UUID. You can find it out by

blkid /dev/sdb1

or what ever.

> It keeps shifting, but it's working without error for now.

IT should not shift at all. I would not trust such hardware. I
recommend You to find the culprit still. You probably need a desktop to
repair FS and solve what to do w/ the adapter (USB-*ATA) - may source
power is weak for the device? If You have no poser source for the
adapter (supplying power from USB) - it may not be sufficient though
the adapter manufacturers' may claim it.

Sthu.