Re: Sid Synaptic authenticates with sudo

On 6/15/2012 7:01 PM, Tom H wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 7:41 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Mark Allums <mark@allums.com> wrote:

Synaptic has begun asking for my user password rather than the root
password.  Why is this happening, and how do I make it stop?  I want only
users with root privileges to use apt/aptitude/synaptic/gdebi/etc. and I
want the original behavior restored.

I don't have a Debian install with a DE to verify the following but
I'd check "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/" where there's most
likely a file defining the polkit admin users.

(Do you have users on your system who can sudo to root and not su to root?!)

check "/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-debian-sudo.conf".

From "policykit-1_0.96-4+squeeze2.diff":

+binary-install/policykit-1::
+	# when building for Ubuntu, allow the admin group, on Debian use sudo group
+	if [ "$(DISTRO)" = "Ubuntu" ]; then \
+	    /bin/echo -e "[Configuration]\nAdminIdentities=unix-group:admin"
debian/policykit-1/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-ubuntu-admin.conf;
\
+	elif [ "$(DISTRO)" = "Debian" ]; then \
+	    /bin/echo -e "[Configuration]\nAdminIdentities=unix-group:sudo"
debian/policykit-1/etc/polkit-1/localauthority.conf.d/51-debian-sudo.conf;
\
+	fi

Looking at the changelog, this was done (unless I'm misunderstanding
the entry) in 2010:

policykit-1 (0.96-4) unstable; urgency=low

    * debian/rules
      - When building for Debian, install a localauthority.conf.d configuration
        file which considers "sudo" group users as administrators.
        (Closes: #532499)

  -- Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org>  Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:21:50 +0100

Thanks for that. I should have realized. It was indeed set to sudo. A bit infuriating.

I am currently the only sudo-er, and I want it to stay that way. I am also currently the only possessor of the root password. (In event of my incapacity, they are in a safe place.) Nevertheless, there are (some possibly silly) reasons for my distress. Anyway...

Oddly, if this change was made so long ago, then why did it just now change behavior on my Sid machines, and why has it not happened to my Wheezy machines?

It is unique to Synaptic (it seems) on my Sid machines. For instance, starting a root terminal brings up the usual "Enter the administrative password" dialog. Also, on my Wheezy machines, the setting is the same, but on them, Synaptic still asks for the root password, not the user password.

So, while Policykit is a good lead, but I don't think it is the source of the change.

Thanks for your suggestions,

Mark