Re: Sid Synaptic authenticates with sudo

On 6/15/2012 7:18 PM, Richard Hector wrote:
On 16/06/12 10:08, Mark Allums wrote:
Synaptic has begun asking for my user password rather than the root
password. Why is this happening, and how do I make it stop? I want only
users with root privileges to use apt/aptitude/synaptic/gdebi/etc. and I
want the original behavior restored.

I think it might be a gnome thing rather than a synaptic thing - I
looked into it briefly a while ago when I wanted the opposite, but gave
up and kept using the commandline tools.

But you realise that you're still restricting access to those with root
privileges, right? Just via sudo configuration rather than who knows the
password. Better, you're restricting access to those who have sudo
access _and_ have an account on the machine - the fewer people who know
the root password the better, imho.

Richard

Your points are valid, thanks. In my case, they don't apply. (Everyone's situation is special. :-) )

It is unique to Synaptic (it seem) on my machines. For instance, starting a root terminal brings up the usual Enter the administrative password.

Mark