Re: configuring interface & configuring MTA time out

On 06/13/2012 03:01 PM, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
> On 06/13/2012 02:28 PM, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
>> On Mi, 13 iun 12, 13:44:44, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
>>>
>>> Yup, I'm using Wicd. When I'm ready to leave one location to trave to
>>> the next, I choose the next network's configuration from within Wicd.
>>> With the aforementioned /etc/network/interfaces file (set to use DHCP)
>>> Wicd always has me set up right when I come up to the desktop. The only
>>> difference between now and then (more than about two weeks ago) is that
>>> now, it takes two extra minutes to get to the desktop -- but *only* when
>>> I'm connecting at one of the sites that makes me used a fixed IP
>>> address. That's because something has changed in the relationship
>>> between the netscript (?) package and Wicd, I guess.
>>
>> Err, last time I used Wicd it worked better without any stanza (other
>> than lo) in /etc/network/interfaces.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Andrei
>
> Hi, Andrei. Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> Yes, that's the way I used to run it. I changed it some time ago for
> some (probably dumb) reason. I think it had to do with getting a router
> at home to list it this notebook as one of the DHCP clients. For some
> reason that stanza had to be there (if my old brain recalls correctly)
> to get it registered with that router as a DHCP client.
>
> I did try commenting out the second stanza and rebooting. It made no
> difference. But it was certainly worth a try.
>
> Best regards,
> Gilbert

And again, hello Andrei.

I thought I'd respond to myself to keep this particular item as a subset
of the thread.

I got home and tried the /etc/network/interfaces file without the second
stanza, and at least that second stanza is no longer necessary to show
registration of the system with the DHCP server on the router. (I
replaced the old router that used to give me a problem with this.)

So, thank you. I am at least able to return to the standard interfaces
file now, and I probably wouldn't have discovered this without your
reminder.

Best regards,
Gilbert