Re: unique install question?

Hi Karen :)

if possible sent to the list only, don't CC instead and please switch
from top to bottom post.

On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 20:24 -0400, Karen Lewellen wrote:
> Hi,
> first, the test image of wheezy came with software speech installed, which
> is why I wanted it.

Do you want a special speech software? If not, since gnome-orca is
available for all versions of Debian, the speech-dispatcher will provide
at least festival. Or should the installer already use a speech synth?
[1]

> second, it took me a year to find anyone who could create these images
> for me.
> and I cannot burn the stable squeeze cd myself, no means as my main
> computer only has dialup.

Hm? If you would be from Germany, I could sent you a CD. I suspect
somebody from your country is willing to sent you the CD too.

> Agreed, had I not been told that Debian would not care which  method I
> used, it might have been smarter to ignore having speech for the install,
> but I have what I have.

[1] You really need speech for installing?

> third on your question, I would rather have all of debian than not enough,
> even if useless to me.  I will have no  way after the fact to upgrade
> anything...and am not a speed junkie smiles.

You don't need to install all packages, when you install Debian. You
only should install what you need at the moment. It's possible to
install additional packages from DVD later. This is independent from
upgrades.

> As expressed, the situation is not something I can shift without a grand
> loss of time, I am serious about how long it took me to find a person able
> to burn what I have.

FWIW, avoid using install medias from Linux magazines. You can buy
regular Debian install medias, take a look at
http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/ OTOH it might be less expensive to
visit an internet café to download and burn the media ... if nobody is
willing to sent you a CD for free ;).

Regards,
Ralf