Re: Recommend System requirements for Linux Debian

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 23:29:03 +0200, Marcin Sławiński wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 20:58 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 19:55:51 +0200, Marcin Sławiński wrote:
>>
>> > What exactly Linux Debian with gnome 3 has hardware requirements to
>> > works just fine without 2 minutes boot time and low responsible? How
>> > much RAM must been installed (how fast? which technology : DDR, DDR
>> > or DDR3) how GPU must be strong for Debian systems?
>>
>> I can tell you the system specs where I'm currently running wheezy:
>> GNOME3 with gnome-shell. It's a netbook (Atom based) with 2 GiB of DDR2
>> RAM and Intel N10 chipset card (Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150).
>>
>> I'd say is quite conservative hardware but desktop runs flawlessly and
>> the overall user experience is very good; I mean, most things (like
>> booting, menus, windows, effects) are very fast.

> I got CPU 2.66Ghz (32 bit, one core, 64bit compatyble) and 752MB RAM
> (DDR333, single channel). System boots up in two minutes.

Two minutes! That's very slow :-O

> Even I don't what I should services down to speed up.

Well, you can disable some services that you don't use, for instance, I
have turned off bluetooth and NFS. But I would carefully analize why is
booting taking so much time in your system.

There are more tips here:

http://wiki.debian.org/BootProcessSpeedup

> Even on duo2core with 4GB of memory is not working too fast.

My Lenny system with GNOME 2, which is running on a powerful workstation
with 8 GiB and quad core, it takes by far even more time to boot up that
this small netbook, I mean, I have the impression that Wheezy is faster
than Lenny.

Booting is so fast that I even don't have the time to read the daemon
status ("runnig", "failed"...), the gnome-shell comes into play very
quickly.

> 1 minute to window login and 1 minute to full loaded gnome 3. On XFCE4
> it's a little faster. But Ubuntu/Mint are very quicker than Debian.

Do you see any gain when booting with the GNOME classical desktop?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón