Re: [OT] HTML5 (was: Playing Videos)

At 12:11 PM 6/10/2012, Camaleón wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:50:32 -0400, Ethan Rosenberg wrote:

> At 07:17 AM 6/10/2012, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>>I'd do more testing, for example, use <video> tag, load a differnt file
>>container other than AVI (e.g., .mpeg, .ogv...) and also run the tests
>>with different browsers.
>>
> Dear Teacher -
>
> The video tag is poorly supported.  I tried just what you suggested and
> it does not work.  :-(

Video tag is supported in the newer versions of the usual browsers
(Firerox, Chrome, Opera...). It works well here (Firefox 13) :-)

But if you prefer to stick to the older (x)html 4 spec just adjust your
code and forget about html5. It's that simple.

Again, you have to return to school :-)

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_videos.asp

Remember that not all the tags allow the video advanced options (control
buttons, auto-load, loop...).

> I have found out that Iceweasel is using the VLC plugin.  I cannot seem
> to find a way to force Iceweasel to use VLC.

What?! :-?

> My last resort would be to use a system call from PHP to run VLC from
> the command line.  Any ideas?
> :'(

My Firefox uses a Totem plugin for media files by means of "libtotem-
basic-plugin.so". You can have whatever plugin you prefer but of course,
you have to have the right packages installed. Anyway, I doubt your
problem is generated by your plugin...

Review your "about:plugins".

Greetings,

--
=============
Dear Teacher -

Video tag is supported in the newer versions of the usual browsers
(Firerox, Chrome, Opera...). It works well here (Firefox 13) :-)
        Iceweasel 10.0.1 Does not work

> I have found out that Iceweasel is using the VLC plugin.  I cannot seem
> to find a way to force Iceweasel to use VLC.
If I access the file from the directory display [like Windows Explorer in Wndows], it plays wonderfully. In this case it is not using the plugin.

 Anyway, I doubt your problem is generated by your plugin...
        I have to dispute my teacher.   Sorry.

Review your "about:plugins".

        Done - no luck.

The only thing that works seems to be the <object> tag. Additionally, I can not enable replay when the play button is pressed.

Student is stumped. :'(

Ethan