Re: about installing lxde (which xserver)

"Christofer C. Bell" <christofer.c.bell@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
>>
>> However, I think that happenstance might mean that even a fairly
>> incompetent klutz might be able to blunder thru a huge bout of ripping
>> out kde and most of X then moving from testing to stable, and finally
>> installing lxde and enough of xorg stuff to make it work, without all
>> that much trouble.
>
> Harry, this move from testing to stable has me perplexed.  How did you
> accomplish that?  Can you please post your /etc/apt/sources.list, the
> content of /etc/debian_version, the output of "uname -a" and the
> versions of the following packages?

Egad, don't start picking this apart... it's working :)

It was a bit of a slug fest... and I made many moves without recording
what I'd done... but I can post the requested stuff.

,----
`----

,----
`----

,----
`----

,----
`----

,----
| dpkg-query -W|awk '{printf "%-40s %s\n", $1, $2}'|egrep \
|    '^(coreutils |base-files |bash |dpkg |apt )'
| apt                                      0.8.15.9
| base-files                               6.5
| bash                                     4.2-1
| coreutils                                8.13-3
| dpkg                                     1.16.1.2
`----

Yikes, looks like I lied thru my teeth.

But I can tell you that all those notices about updates when I was
running testing do not come anymore...

> You can check these with:
>
> harry@debian:~$ dpkg -l $package_name
>
> A downgrade of the operating system to a prior release (in this case,
> from testing to stable, or from wheezy to squeeze) is really not
> supported by the package management system.  The above files,
> commands, and package versions look at some key operating system
> version information and core package versions and will give a good
> indication as to whether or not you're actually back on stable.  I
> just can't shake the feeling you're now running some sort of
> frankenstein combination of testing and stable.

Err yup, looks like Marty Feldman, although now deceased, could make a
comeback otherwise.