Re: about installing lxde (which xserver)

Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

> On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 06:55:48PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I've recently done a tremendous amount of removing and purging.  I
>> wanted rid of kde and finally to install lxde. And threw into the
>> bargain moving from testing to stable.
>
> Downgrades are not supported. You are in for an uphill battle.

Strangely enough things seem to have settled down.

I kept installing parts of xorg and lxde and eventually it all seemed
to work.  Or at least at a casual glance.

I am getting a message when the desktop loads (following startx) that
says I've had a kernel failure... However I don't see anything obvious
that does not seem to be working.

I'm not seeing anything regarding kernel in /var/log/messages or
/var/log/kern.log... that seems to be about a failure.

Possibly I'm just blind.

I'm liking what I've seen of lxde so far too.

So basically I'm a happy camper... I must say though that none of it
happened thru my exceptional skill... it was all blind luck and
happenstance.

However, I think that happenstance might mean that even a fairly
incompetent klutz might be able to blunder thru a huge bout of ripping
out kde and most of X then moving from testing to stable, and finally
installing lxde and enough of xorg stuff to make it work, without all
that much trouble.

I might add that there were quite a few instances where aptitude
claimed to be installing stuff, but in fact did not.  I would just
pick out some other package that was involved and try again.
Eventually it seemed to work.

I guess it points up the truth of the legendary solidity of debian.

Of course I may be speaking a bit too soon.....