Re: [OT] Documenting new stuff (was: /tmp is too small)

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:15:05 +0200, Slavko wrote:

> Dňa Sat, 9 Jun 2012 20:10:39 +0000 (UTC) Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com>
> napísal:
>
>> Mmm... did you recently read those files? I don't think so ;-P
>
> yes, i read them (testing) ;-)

Better read the ones from Sid.

>> Those files contain no insightful information that can help the user to
>> decide if going with the new approach or staying with the old
>> behaviour. The wiki page can expand the concept of having "/tmp" in a
>> virtual space more than just pointing the users on how tweak a couple
>> of variables.
>
> The tmpfs is more commented than the rcS (more exactly: rcS.ucf-dist - i
> haven't merged changes yet).

Where is that "rcS.ucf-dist" file located?

> For me, the provided information are enough.

Not for me and I'd say not for many others (you only have to review the
last months of the mailing list archives to find out people does not know
nothing about this new behaviour).

> The my rcS and rcS.ucf-dist files are very different (i mean the
> comments), i am not using the tmpfs for /tmp and for others the defaults
> are fain for me, then i don't know about changes in this config file - i
> know only that it is deprecated now.

The default seems to be (now) not using tmpfs so if that's finally the
case, it's also fine with me. Still, a wiki page describing what is is,
how it works, user cases, tweak tips and that kind of stuff would be
fantastic :-)

>> Although there's more info at the usual path
>> "/usr/share/doc/initscripts/ README.Debian" I still find it a bit
>> intimidating for the newcomers.
>
> You forgot to mention "man rcS(5)", are you read it? I read it some time
> ago, then i don't know if it is updated now.

Yes, a bunch of text that says nothing about the concept of having /tmp
virtually over RAM, only how the usual tips: how to turn it on/off.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón