Re: about installing lxde (which xserver)

ACro <acro@bluebottle.com> writes:

>> Does this list look a little ridiculous?
>
> It doesn't :-) AFAIK this is the default behaviour when installing
> xserver-xorg,
> although not all packages may really be needed.

[...]

Thanks for the details regarding the xserver stuff.

Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> writes:

[...]

>> Note the nest of xservers involved.
>
> There's just one X server, X.org. The list just contains a lot of
> drivers for different video and input hardware. That's because lxde
> depends on x-display-manager (or gdm3) and that depends on xserver-xorg
> and that in turn depends on xserver-xorg-video-all and
> xserver-xorg-input-all which pull in all those dependencies.

[...]

Thanks to you too for the details about the xservers and drivers
phenomena.

> BTW, 'aptitude why $packagename' tells you why it wants to have a
> certain package installed.

Nice tip ... thanks

Nice unix command line too... It took me a bit to figure out why it
would not copy paste to the cmdline.  Finally I realized that the mail
formatting had broke a line you probably did not expect and so there
was no newline escape following `END' in your message.

With that in place.... it plinks out the size in short order.