Re: Sugestions for New Releases of Debian

On Sb, 09 iun 12, 10:13:34, ARAVIND CHAK wrote:
> I'm new here but presume that this will be circulated in THE Deb-LIST.

What is "THE Deb-LIST"?

> So please think whether you would like to widely support/disseminate
> five thoughts:
> 1)  That the classic Debian desktop  with
> Panels/launchers/drawers/applets remains - always.

There is no such thing a "the classic Debian desktop". Debian ships all
major DEs and WMs, it just happens that Gnome is the default (but this
may change for future releases).

> 2)  That the software repositories for Synaptic and Software-Centre
> are kept as up-to-date as possible to give access to the latest
> versions of software e.g. Eclipse, Scribus, I understand that these
> are maintained by dedicated people as volunteers.

Before suggesting anything in this direction you should understand the
Debian release cycle[1][2]. Afterwards you may find out that testing or
unstable is a better fit for your needs, assuming you can deal with the
occasional breakage.

[1] you can read the Debian FAQ and/or Debian Reference Manual
[2] at some point you might be tempted to propose more or less
significant changes to the release cycle. Be sure to check all past
discussions first

> 3) That software be developed to make a "Remaster" type backup on
> larger than the ISO for a 4.7GB DVD.

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean here.

> 4) That the .deb packages for all installations be kept in a separate
> folder (other than /var/apt/cache/bin??) as a back-up local repository
> folder which can be ported to a new installation e.g. after a
> re-installation/re-formatting. This will save Internet time and
> expense.

There are various solutions to this problem. If this is something you
need you should start a dedicated thread describing your needs as
accurate as possible.

> 5) That detailed help panels/pop-ups happen which tell you what each
> option implies during Debian installation

The Debian Installer has to work in various hardware configurations and
is translated in ~60 languages. I'm afraid your idea would bloat it
quite a bit and would make it much more difficult to have it localized
in as many languages (just compare with the number of translations for
the Installation Manual).

You may want to check out the Installation Manual (AFAIR it is included
on the CDs). If you feel something is missing feel free to send
suggestions (preferably in patch form).

Kind regards,
Andrei