Re: Sugestions for New Releases of Debian

On Sat, 2012-06-09 at 10:13 +0530, ARAVIND CHAK wrote:
> 2)  That the software repositories for Synaptic and Software-Centre
> are kept as up-to-date as possible to give access to the latest
> versions of software e.g. Eclipse, Scribus, I understand that these
> are maintained by dedicated people as volunteers.

Different distros do have different policies. You want a rolling
release, such as Arch, if you always want the latest software, but you
won't use Arch, if you won't set up the DE, since Arch doesn't install X
by default.
You can try Debian stable + backports or Debian testing, but be sure
that Ubuntu will ship with more updated software.

Take a look at Ubuntu Studio. It's a regular Ubuntu, but the
installation media comes with some changes, e.g. the default DE is Xfce.
Xfce is similar to GNOME 2.

- Ralf