Re: Problem setting up a subdomain

On 08/06/12 15:20, Chris Davies wrote:
Keir Snow<snow.keir@gmail.com>  wrote:
I've then enabled it using a2ensite however it seems to override my
default config file and serve the subdomain content when the main site
URL is used.
Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
Misunderstanding vHosts :-)

The _default_ entry works fine until you start adding virtual hosts. At
that point you need to stop using the _default_ entry completely and
create a vHost definition for each of the sites you want to serve.

So if you had just www.mywebsite.org working within _default_,
but now have added groupsite.mywebsite.org, you now need three
definitions: _default_ (which doesn't really get used any more),
groupsite.mywebsite.org, and www.mywebsite.org.

That is NOT correct.

I have a number of separate files in "sites-available" with different domains/subdomains I still use _default_ though as the main web site, because it acts as a catchall for any other domains that happen to be pointed at the same IP address.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk