Re: postfix and hostname

On Fri, 08 Jun 2012 14:52:06 +0200, Tony van der Hoff wrote:

> Running squeeze on my VPS, and using postfix/dovecot/cyrus as my MTA,
> for a number of users, who pick up mail via IMAP (mostly Thunderbird).
> Postfix is configured to accept mail for user@vanderhoff.org, as well as
> a few other domains.

As both Cyrus and Dovecot provide the same core functionalities (IMAP and
POP3), do you have them enabled at the same time for the same purpose? :-?

> The hostname for the server is set to vanderhoff.org.uk. This has been
> running fine for a number of years, but I am rationalising my domains,
> and want to change the hostname to vanderhoff.org. Nothing to do with
> the MTA really, or so I thought.

Mmm, that would depend on how did you setup the MTA.

> I expected this to be as simple as editing /etc/hostname, and updating
> the live hostname via the hostname command. I now have no mail coming
> in. Changing the hostname back to the .uk version reverts operation to
> normal.

Can you attach the Postfix error logs? It will be of much help :-)
(remember to remove sensitive info).

> So some misconfiguration somewhere, but I'm blowed if I can find it. Has
> anyone any hints, please?

In addition, append the "postconf -n" output (here you can also hide any
sensitive information it could contain).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón