Re: netinst + wifi = catch22

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 14:24:13 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:

> I've been experimenting with installing Debian on a laptop dedicated to
> experimentation.
> The results have been satisfactory enough that when I discovered it had
> a very dead battery, I took my general usage laptop to library (only
> dial-up available at home). I've run the live-CD on this machine so I
> was expecting no problem. Evidently netinst does not recognize my WiFi
> hardware. It runs fine on WinXP and I believe I've connected via WiFi
> with one of the collection of live cd's (a Puppy linux IIRC).

Your wifi adapter should be detected. A different thing is that you can
use it "as is" :-)

> Questions:
> 1. What is command to identify the WiFi hardware?

- For PCI, PCMCIA/Express Cards or embedded adapters, "lspci".

- For USB devices, "lsusb".

> 2. Once I've identified the required driver, how do I install it when I
> can not connect to the internet in first place ;<

You can put the required files into a USB stick and tell the expert
installer you want to load additional files from there. Just remember
that only WEP is available for the Squeeze installer otherwise it won't
work (Wheezy already supports WPA, IIRC).

> This machine is an IBM Thinkpad T43 (lenovo) The machine with no problem
> connecting is a Lenovo Thinkpad R61 (no IBM logo)

That looks like old hardware and Google points to an Intel PRO/Wireless
2915 card, though YMMV. If that's so, look at here:

http://wiki.debian.org/ipw2200

Specifically "Installation via Debian Installer".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón