Re: [OT] Re: Computer case

* Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> [120603 02:51]:
> [1] I still need to check the current prices for wood etc.. Of course,
> building a rack made of wood from the bulk garbage still would be less
> expensive.
> FWIW I don't need something as stable as a flight case. I still own one
> professional flightcase, bought it 30 years ago and I don't like it due
> to it's weight.

The HOWTO which I provided is the approach which I take when I need
something in a hurry and cannot afford a commercial rack.

Yes, it is ugly.

Yes, it is heavy.

Yes, drilling the holes and putting in the screws one-by-one the first
time is a pain.

But if you have a little scrap lumber in the garage, the approach is
cheap, and it gives you a rack in one evening, maybe two.  Finally, it
gives you a rack of precisely the height you need.

One advantage which a homebuilt wooden rack has over most
commercial steel racks is that you can recess the gear, so that knobs
are protected from accidental impacts.  And for gear such as a
headphone amplifier with front-panel 1/4-inch phone jacks, I may
recess the rails as much as two inches, to guard against accidental
impact on the phone plugs -- because a hard knock on the phone plug
can damage the phone jack in the rack gear.

RLH