Re: Random display freezes [was: Less responsive input...blind-typing]

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

* Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> [120602 09:53]:
> Where is your /tmp mounted.

Under the main filesystem. Are you thinking of suggesting I mount
/tmp as a ramdisk?

> Please post "mount" output.

 ~ % mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=1498260k,nr_inodes=217054,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=300952k,mode=755)
/dev/disk/by-uuid/xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,commit=5,barrier=1,data=ordered)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=601900k)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
binfmt_misc on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

> > * John Magolske <listmail@b79.net> [120525 17:13]:
> > > For a while now I've been experiencing a strange behavior where there
> > > are frequent and regular "freezes" when typing or issuing commands
> >
> > Ok, so I opened up htop to look up & kill off non-essential daemons,
> > adjusted vm.dirty_ratio and vm.dirty_background_ratio [1], tried
> > changing and tuning the IO scheduler [2] (switched from cfq to
> > deadline) ... all to no avail, still these infernal 3-second freezes.
>
> This makes things too complicated to resolve.  Keep as much in default
> otherwise others will not know how things are on your end.

Admittedly, this was grasping at straws...all these changes were
temporary & did not persist across a re-boot (I rebooted & checked).

Regards,

John

--
John Magolske