Re: Web browser gets slow and blocks the system

Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> writes:

> The "/swap" partition has to be mounted. Put here the content of your "/etc/
> fstab".

Effectively, swap is not in fstab:

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/hda8       /               ext3    errors=remount-ro 0       1
UUID=fac20d2a-a9b7-4a63-973e-ff78f9bf0bc2       /               ext3    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/hda5       none            swap    sw              0       0
UUID=bdc14217-c199-40fc-ae6b-47657e54cee3       none            swap    sw              0       0
# /dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/cdrw        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
UUID=44F1-9096   /mnt/pendrive1         vfat    rw,user,noauto       0       0
UUID=44F1-7D0C   /mnt/pendrive2         vfat    rw,user,noauto       0       0
UUID=48A3-3446   /mnt/pendrive-carolina vfat    rw,user,noauto       0       0
#/dev/sda1       /mnt/sda1               ext3    errors=remount-ro 0       1
image.iso       /mnt/iso        iso9660 ro,loop=/dev/loop0,user,noauto  0       0

Maybe the main cause of the problem is the swap partition not mounted?

>>> What the...!!! >:-O
>>>
>>> How can you pretend to run your system with as little as 28 MB of
>>> available ram? You are likey running out of memory, so either add more
>>> ram (this is highly recommended) or use a ligthweight desktop/ window
>>> manager with programs that are not as resource and memory hungry as
>>> iceweasel is.
>>
>> Do you think it is possible to work it out using a lighter desktop
>> manager?
>
> Sure, many people does it. Or even consider using another linux
> distribution prepared to run with these kind of low resource systems.
>
>> But why didn't the problem occur before in the past?  It has
>> become heavy only recently, and the machine is always the same.
>
> I can't tell but your system can't be happy with 216 MB of ram and running
> applications such as Iceweasel. Sooner or later it has to break.

Thanks again
Rodolfo