Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 17:19 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> > cd /path/to/debian_stable
> > tar czf backup_name.tar.gz *
>
> will clonezilla live CD work in this case? as i am using it very often
> and  a bit useto with it.

AFAIK yes, Clonezilla should be ok.

> now this snapshots point raising one more question in my mind.
> did you means snapshots like XP and Other windows OS supports. for
> example. i can make a snapshot before installing any service like
> apache , samba or anything. and after installing , at the end i
> realize that i messed up the whole box then i can revert my system
> back to that particular snapshot and i will be at the old stage. can i
> use snapshot in this context ( sorry for the newbie Questions but i am
> confused with Microsoft and Linux as there are same services in both
> OS and working entirely in different way)

If you don't sync, than yes, at least for Linux you'll restore exactly
what you had before, at a explicit date. I suspect XP does a kind of
sync and I suspect it will be possible for Linux too, but if you tar
your Debian or use Clonezilla to do a complete image, nothing could go
wrong.