Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Fri, 2012-05-25 at 15:57 +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> 3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
> system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.

If your repositories are explicit for stable, than there shouldn't
happen an upgrade to testing or unstable.

To restore your Debian stable in the future, IMO the easiest way is to
do a backup before upgrading and to restore from such a backup if
needed.

You can backup any Linux from another Linux, e.g. from a live media, if
you're root and run

cd /path/to/debian_stable
tar czf backup_name.tar.gz *

Globbing (here using *) and following links shouldn't be an issue for
your setup. And IMO having several backups/snapshots is more safe than
syncing backups. Btw. some dirs can be excluded, but IMO this makes a
backup unneeded complicated.

- Ralf