Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM, Kumar Appaiah
<a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 03:57:28PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> in a testing environment I was trying to upgrade the security patches
>> and I run the command
>> apt-get upgrade.
>> It ran fine, but at the end it upgraded my whole OS, first my test
>> machine was showing Debian version 6.0.4 now after the upgrade it
>> shifted to Wheezy/SID which I think is unstable.
>>
>> In Microsoft when we upgrade  the OS. it downloads only the security
>> and OS patches.
>>
>> So the question are
>>
>> 1. how to upgrade only the security patches?
>
> If security is your concern, you ought to be running "stable" as
> opposed to testing. If you run stable, then ensuring that
> security.debian.org is listed in the /etc/apt/sources.list will fetch
> security updates.
thanks for the response, but more i concern was a patch like fix
patches in Microsoft. i thought it would be working in same way :P as
i am already behind the firewall and actively monitoring things so
security from outside is not a concern for me. but securing the debian
box is also a target to achieve and security should not be neglected.
ill subscribe for the mailing list ASAP thanks for the advice.