Re: how to update Debian OS properly

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 03:57:28PM +0500, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> in a testing environment I was trying to upgrade the security patches
> and I run the command
> apt-get upgrade.
> It ran fine, but at the end it upgraded my whole OS, first my test
> machine was showing Debian version 6.0.4 now after the upgrade it
> shifted to Wheezy/SID which I think is unstable.
>
> In Microsoft when we upgrade  the OS. it downloads only the security
> and OS patches.
>
> So the question are
>
> 1. how to upgrade only the security patches?

If security is your concern, you ought to be running "stable" as
opposed to testing. If you run stable, then ensuring that
security.debian.org is listed in the /etc/apt/sources.list will fetch
security updates.

> 2. if the upgrade patch trigger any critical issue. Like any service
> like hosting, filesharing or squid got effected by the update, how
> come we know which patch cause this problem and how to remove that
> specific patch because in Microsoft I have seen that security patches
> and OS patches some time make problems when run along with ongoing
> services.

I'd advise you to subscribe to the security mailing list of the
projects which you run on your machine whose security issues you are
concerned about.

Read this for further details and ideas: http://www.debian.org/security/

> 3. how to revert back to old OS, for example, in my case i upgraded my
> system from 6.0.4 to Wheezy/SID now want to revert things back.

This is a little complicated and one could end up hosing one's
system. I'd advise you to back up things and do a fresh install of
squeeze.

HTH.

Kumar
--
We use Linux for all our mission-critical applications.  Having the source code
means that we are not held hostage by anyone's support department.