Re: ssh error - Write failed: Broken pipe

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 08:25:20PM +0100, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 23/05/12 03:07 PM, elbbit wrote:
> > On 23/05/12 19:46, Gary Dale wrote:
> >> This is repeatable 100% of the time.
> > I get this error on my ISP.  I have found they are inspecting the
> > internet packets and terminating if there is too little back-and-forth
> > traffic.  My ISP is a mobile phone network over 3G so they are probably
> > trying to keep the bandwidth for phones only.
> >
> > I do "-o ServerAliveInterval=5" which has my ssh client ping the server
> > every 5 seconds to keep it alive.
> >
> > To summarise, I get rid of broken pipe errors by using this command line
> >
> > ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=5 user@server.com
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > elbbit
> I can try it, but as I said, I have a stable connection when I'm not
> doing anything. I can leave an ssh shell open overnight and it will be
> there in the morning. It's only when I'm moving bits around on the
> remote machine that I get disconnected.

ah. I misunderstood your scenario in my previous mail... sorry.

So the ssh breakage is (somehow) triggered by moving bits around on
the remote machine only - not by moving lots of bits through the SSH
connection.

Anything in the logs on the remote machine? these files may contain relevant stuff:
	 /var/log/syslog
	 /var/log/daemon.log
	 /var/log/kern.log

.. basically all of them... look for files in /var/log which were
touched around the time (or later) of the problem.

Hope this helps

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
IT Operations