Re: ssh error - Write failed: Broken pipe

On 23/05/12 03:25 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
On 23/05/12 03:07 PM, elbbit wrote:
On 23/05/12 19:46, Gary Dale wrote:
This is repeatable 100% of the time.
I get this error on my ISP.  I have found they are inspecting the
internet packets and terminating if there is too little back-and-forth
traffic.  My ISP is a mobile phone network over 3G so they are probably
trying to keep the bandwidth for phones only.

I do "-o ServerAliveInterval=5" which has my ssh client ping the server
every 5 seconds to keep it alive.

To summarise, I get rid of broken pipe errors by using this command line

ssh -o ServerAliveInterval=5 user@server.com

Hope this helps,
elbbit
I can try it, but as I said, I have a stable connection when I'm not doing anything. I can leave an ssh shell open overnight and it will be there in the morning. It's only when I'm moving bits around on the remote machine that I get disconnected.

Strange. When I turned on the keepalive, the cmp completed faster / I got the remote prompt back faster with no broken pipe. The stable connection could be because the operation returned faster or it could be that the keepalive fixed the problem. I'll have to check some more.