Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On 5/21/2012 2:00 PM, Ramon Hofer wrote:

> From my /var/log/installer/syslog I think it uses 2.6.32-5-amd64.
> I have attached the tree log files again (maybe you haven't seen them
> when I posted them to the list).
> There are two syslogs (the one from /var/log as well). And
> the /var/log/installer/hardware-summary.
>
> I have added the the command I'd use to print the file in the first
> line.

This isn't going to make any difference as it locks up with the 3.2
backport kernel, which has a much newer LSI driver.  So don't waste any
more time on the Debian installer.

> Maybe you can see something in there...

Nothing but the megasas errors and the 120 second timeouts.  There's no
smoking gun present in the logs.

>>> I have done this already. I have installed Squeeze with the Netinst
>>> iso and the lsi and expander attached.
>>> Then after the install when I couldn't boot removed the lsi card
>>> (with the expander still in the pcie port but not connected to the
>>> lsi card). Installed bpo kernel installed the lsi card again and
>>> still it hangs at boot.
>>
>> Hmmmm....  this is very strange.   Never seen anywhere near this much
>> trouble before installing an LSI HBA with Linux.
>
> I have not much luck with linux and hardware ;-)

That's odd given you have top shelf mobo and SAS HBA, SuperMicro and
LSI.  The problem seems to be in the kernel at this point, though I'm
unable to find anything thus far via Google that provides a fix...

BTW, I noticed you stopped copying the Debian list.  All of this
exchange needs to be archived for others, so I'm adding the list back to
the CC.

--
Stan