Re: LSI MegaRAID SAS 9240-4i hangs system at boot

On 5/20/2012 9:24 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
> On Sat, 19 May 2012 11:31:51 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
>> On 5/19/2012 5:33 AM, Ramon Hofer wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, I'm really thankful for the recommendation. And somehow I hoped
>>> you could jump in and help me :-)
>>
>> I'm actively working on it, have been for a couple of hours on and off.
>>  I'm reading your responses as I go before responding so I hopefully
>> don't recommend something you've already tried.  I'm still researching.
>>  In the mean time, if you can, go ahead and flash the 9240 with the
>> latest firmware, precisely following the instructions.
>
> Should I first flash the new firmware and then test what you describe
> below?

Flash the firmware, then try too boot the system from the drives
attached to the mobo SATA port, as you have been.  If the system locks
as it did before, this will tell us the firmware update didn't solve the
problem.  Given that the shipped FW was from 2010, I have high hopes the
new FW will fix this problem.  I'm surprised your card shipped with a FW
that old.  From what company did you purchase the 9240-4i?  I'm
wondering if it may have been sitting on a shelf for a while.

> I am not very sure if I do the flashing right. Here's what I do:
>
> 1. Read the firmware readme file [1]
>
>> Installation:
>> =============
>> Use MegaCLI to flash the SAS controllers.  MegaCLI can be downloaded
>> from the support and download section of www.lsi.com.
>>
>> Command syntax:  MegaCli -adpfwflash -f imr_fw.rom -a0
>
> So I download the MegaCLI from [2] and read the MegaCLI readme [3]:
>
>> Installation Commands:
>> ===================
>> 1.	Copy MegaCli.exe to a folder.
>> 2.	Run MegaCli from the Command Prompt.  Use -h option to see help
> menu.
>
> I create a FreeDOS USB stick with unetbooting. Copy MegaCli.exe and the
> imr_fw.rom [4] into a folder on the USB stick, boot it and run the above
> command to flash the card?

Yep.

> [1] http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/MegaRAID%20Common%
> 20Files/20.10.1-0077_SAS_2008_FW_Image_APP-2.120.244-1482.txt
>
> [2] http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/MegaRAID%20Common%
> 20Files/8.00.40_Dos_Megacli.zip
>
> [3] http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/MegaRAID%20Common%20Files/
> README_FOR_8.00.40_Dos_Megacli.zip.txt
>
> [4] http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/MegaRAID%20Common%
> 20Files/20.10.1-0077_SAS_2008_FW_Image_APP-2.120.244-1482.zip
>

> (...)
>
>>> But I didn't know if it's ok to ask you by name.
>>
>> I've been doing a "reply-to-all" with each reply, hoping you'd follow
>> suit.  This list is very busy thus a reply-all ensures I won't miss your
>> posts.
>
> I'm using pan to read the newsgroup where's no reply to all button. But
> there's a mail to field which I'm now testing :-)

Ahh, ok.  I didn't realize some people read mailing lists via news groups.

When I reply-to-all, where does the copy end up that is sent to
ramonhofer@bluewin.ch?  Surely you read your email in an MUA such as
ThunderBird or similar.  You can reply-to-all from there.

>> Please feel free to address me by name and/or contact me directly off
>> list.  I recommended this storage controller/expander solution to you
>> and it's not working yet.  I'm not going to leave you twisting in the
>> wind.  That's not how I roll. ;)  Besides, look at my RHS domain.  I
>> have a reputation to uphold. :)
>
> That's very kind!
> I know that everyone here does for free what they do. So I don't want to
> ask for someone to spend his/her time for me. But of course I'm really
> thankful for every single minute you spend to help me :-)

I'll be with you until it's fixed, working, or until we identify the
root cause.  It's always possible that the HBA is defective in some way.
 If neither the firmware update no other measures fix the problem, you
may need to send the card back for replacement.

BTW, after you flash the FW, power off the machine and remove the Intel
Expander from its PCIe slot.  Disconnect the 8087 cable from the 9240.
Then power up and see if the system boots from the mobo connected
drives.  This will isolate the 9240 from the downstream SAS expander and
drives.

--
Stan