kmail crashes on startup

Hello,

I'm using Mepis (a debian derivative) and I'm using kmail (4.4.4) as my
e-mail client.  It has been working just fine.

Today, I fixed a couple of filter rules and moved a couple of messages
from one mailbox to another while the filter dialog was open.  This all
seems pretty harmless to me.

Since then, whenever I start kmail, it crashes (signal 11).  Trying to
start it from a terminal gives this output:
****begin terminal output *********
mark@Mark:~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail$ kmail
Connecting to deprecated signal
QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
"/usr/bin/kmail(4323)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
- The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any
.service files"
"/usr/bin/kmail(4323)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
"/usr/bin/kmail(4323)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
- The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any
.service files"
"/usr/bin/kmail(4323)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
"/usr/bin/kmail(4323)" Soprano: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown
- The name org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any
.service files"
"/usr/bin/kmail(4323)" Soprano: "QLocalSocket::connectToServer: Invalid name"
QMetaObject::invokeMethod: No such method
KUniqueApplication::loadCommandLineOptionsForNewInstance()
kmail(4323)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
kmail(4323)/kdecore (KConfigSkeleton) KCoreConfigSkeleton::writeConfig:
mark@Mark:~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail$ *** KMail got signal 11 (Crashing)
KCrash: Application 'kmail' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/mark/.kde/socket-Mark/kdeinit4__0
****end terminal output*********

I tried sending a bug report, but the debugger does not provide useful
information to create the bug report.

When I first ran from a terminal, I got messages about .index.ids files
having a zero entry in them.  I removed the files, thinking that the file
would be re-created, but that has not solved the problem.

I tried restarting the KDE session which did not solve the problem, and I
tried restarting the entire system, which again did not help.

I have plenty of RAM and plenty of free disk space (/ partition 2.8G free,
/home partition 411G free.) so I don't think that either of those are the
problem.

Would anyone please tell me how to get kmail working again?

Thanks,

Mark