Re: need help on using ffmpeg for video grab

On Mon, 21 May 2012 02:49:34 +1200, Chris Bannister wrote:

> On Sat, May 19, 2012 at 05:45:31PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > No it is not!
>>
>> ?
>>
>> Then kindly explain why you think so.

> Code of conduct
>
> When using the Debian mailing lists, please follow these rules:
>      * The mailing lists exist to foster the development and use of
>      Debian ...

"(...) Non-constructive or off-topic messages, along with other abuses,
are not welcome."

>      * Make sure that you are using the proper list.

And "debian-user" (→ "Help and discussion among users of Debian") suits
perfect for the question.

Anyway, how the above affects to this matter? I still fail to see your
point because if so, we have to stop accepting posts asking how does Mutt
work or how can gnome-terminal be opened at the desired window size. Are
you proposing we reach that extreme? Come on...

>> FFmpeg is a program like any other available and packaged for Debian
>> (29,000 and increasing), if a user has problems for using it, what do
>> you
>
> Exactly! 29,000 OT questions? Please be sensible!
>
> Why do think there is:
> http://www.mutt.org/mail-lists.html
>
> etc ... etc ... etc ...

Those lists are aimed for users who need "specific" assistance not for
common questions that can be easily solved here by other users who do
know how the application works.

>> suggest then? Send every user to every single list of every single
>
> Well use your common sense.

I try doing so, all the time. But reading comments (like this of yours)
is what makes me wonder if people here is going crazy or what :-)

> If it looks like the problem is Debian related, i.e. the way the
> program interacts with Debian -- then sure, It is fine and very
> relevant to this list.

And what's a "Debian related" question? FFmpeg is not interacting with
your Debian system? Neither xawtv? What's then the goal of having a OS if
you can't run an application of your liking? Have we to stop asking
questions when they're not directly related to the functioning of the
operating system? That's simply absurd and of course that's not what the
Code of Conduct for this mailing list wants to promulgate.

> If it looks like a problem with the usage of the actual program, then
> the user is better posting his/her question on the actual support list.

Of course it can be *better*, but not *a must*. There's a slight
difference between the two stanzas. You can _suggest_ a user to ask in
another specialized mailing list to get more answers but you can't tell
the user _this is not the correct_ mailing list for such questions.

> Why?
> 	* That is where the developers and users "hang out".

Not always. Most devels stay-away of user-targeted mailing list and read
only those with -devel tag to avoid losing their time (much noise).
Anyway, this is not a question for a developer but for plain users.

>       * Therefore you are more likely to find someone who can help.

I fail to see how... devels are not usually very patient when it comes to
answer user's questions ;-)

>       * The question, itself,
> 	can help quide the development:
> 	   1) Is the documentation adequate?

Being ffmpeg, not always. Docs and samples are scarce and not easy to
understand, it's a program plenty of options.

> 	   2) Is there a bug in the program?

Irrelevant for this subject.

> 	* Allows the "site:" search term to be more informative.
>       * Probably other reasons which don't immediately come to me.

Posting to the program mailing list is something completely up to the
user, you cannot enforce his/her decision.

>> package? With all the due respects, that's nonsense.
>
> Au contraire, it is perfectly sensible.

"Sensible"? Not for the user who needs help with a Debian package.

>> Sorry, but to be sincere, I don't see the problem.
>
> That is indeed unfortunate. :( Hopefully, you can now?

No, sorry. I think you simply overreacted in your first post.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón